The sound of the steam train whistle is long gone but the history of Cranbrook as an important railway hub is still evident. Cranbrook’s local history is told inside the Station Master’s House which is the oldest building in Cranbrook. This brick and iron cottage was built in 1888-89, when Cranbrook was first established as a siding for the new railway. The geography and water sources of the area made it a suitable location for the building of a railway dam, from which water was pumped to the steam engines. From this beginning it became an important railway hub. Passenger trains as well as goods trains would stop here, to take on water and to be loaded with local produce.