Kojonup Historical Society
The Military Barracks is the oldest building in Kojonup, and now houses a museum. The Barracks were constructed in 1845 by the British ‘redcoats’ of the 51st Regiment, after they settled near kojocup, the local spring. Kojocup had been shown to Surveyor Alfred Hillman by Kaneang/Noongar people in 1837. The museum holds a collection of items from early settlement, including items which are specific to the site, such as a gunpowder container and coins, found during renovations of the building. Kojonup Historical Society, lovingly maintain four sites: The Military Barracks, Elverd Cottage, Old Post Office and the Horsepower and Harness Display.