Bridgetown Police Station Museum
Bridgetown Historical Society curates the museum within the original Bridgetown Police Station and Lockup 1880. The graffitied cell walls and the well-worn floorboards of this 1880 building speak of the many people that have spent time here, either as police or as prisoners. The early settlement was called ‘Geegelup’, taken from the Pibulmun/Wadandi people’s term for the freshwater crustaceans in the local brook (now known as gilgies). In 1868 the town was proclaimed as Bridgetown. The Aboriginal history is not lost, however, in fact it is incorporated as an important part of the story of this building and the district. In recent years, the Historical Society has consulted with local Elders to develop the current displays. Changing exhibitions draw on the extensive photographic collection of more than 1500 items.