Dalgety House Museum
Once the centre of town, the former Dalgety managers’ residence now houses Port Hedland Historical Society’s Dalgety House Museum. Dalgety House is adorned with lattice and louvered windows, and has survived cyclones, white-ants and extensive surrounding development to be one of Port Hedland’s last remaining examples of northwest architecture. Built in 1903, adjacent to Dalgety warehouse, the old house tells the tales of the port from its origins. Audio installations bring the old building back to life, with the agents speaking to customers about the pearling fleets, the weather, the recent sales of wool and a station owner negotiating for a loan to send his 'missus' to town for shopping at Dalgety’s and a well-earned break. The Museum tracks the history of the area from when it was only known as Marapikurrinya by the Kariyarra people to the present, as a vital, industrialised iron ore port. Today we know the Dalgety brand as Wesfarmers.